Recently in May 2021, the Department of Industrial Works, Ministry of Industry of Thailand opened a draft notification to revise the hazardous substance list under Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535 (1992) for the public hearing process. The main revision includes the addition of PFOA to the list. On 3 May 2019, more than 180 countries agreed to ban the production and use of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), its salts, and PFOA-related compounds under the international Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs).
The revisions are as follows;
- A threshold limit of 30% w/w is set out for triethanolamine（CAS RN 102-71-6）, which is classified as type 3, though no limit has been set so far.
- Benzyl cyanide（CAS RN 140-29-4）is upgraded from type 1 to type 3.
- Following 8 substances are banned as type 4 with specific exceptions for type 3;
- Perfluorooctanoic acid（CAS RN 335-67-1）
- Ammonium Perfluorooctanoate（CAS RN 3825-26-1）
- Sodium Perfluorooctanoate（CAS RN 335-95-5）
- Potassium Perfluorooctanoate（CAS RN 2395-00-8）
- Silver Perfluorooctanoate（CAS RN 335-93-3）
- Perfluorooctanoyl Fluoride（CAS RN 335-66-0）
- Methyl Perfluorooctanoate（CAS RN 376-27-2）
- Ethyl Perfluorooctanoate（CAS RN 3108-24-5）.
Specific exemptions are;
- Photolithography or etch processes in semiconductor manufacturing
- Photographic coatings applied to films
- Textiles for oil and water repellency for the protection of workers from dangerous liquids that comprise risks to their health and safety
- Fire-fighting foam for liquid fuel vapor suppression and liquid fuel fires (Class B fires)
- Manufacture of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) for the production of:
a) Industrial waste heat exchanger equipment
b) Industrial sealants capable of preventing leakage of volatile organic compounds and PM2.5 particulates
- Manufacture of polyfluoroethylene propylene (FEP) for the production of high-voltage electrical wire and cables for power transmission
- Manufacture of fluoroelastomers for the production of O-rings, v-belts, and plastic accessories for car interiors
Download the draft notification of the Ministry at