Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Ministry of Public Health, Thailand has been working on drafting “Chemicals Act B.E.XXXX”. Currently, chemical management is regulated by Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535 (1992). However, the Act is outdated to implement chemical management scheme in accordance with international trend and practice.
Features of the Draft Chemicals Act B.E.XXXX
- replaces Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535 (1992)
- organizes National Chemical Policy Board led by Prime minister or Deputy prime minister as the highest decision-making body
- establishes National Chemical Agency as a secretariat of National Chemical Policy Board and as n implementing body of the chemical policy
- elaborates 3 chemical lists
- List 1: Low risk chemicals
- List 2: High risk chemicals
- List 3: Prohibited chemicals
- requires chemical producers outside Thailand to appoint a representative in Thailand for registration, application of risk assessment and other processes
On 21 October 2019, FDA organized a public hearing for 2nd draft of the Chemicals Act. FDA explained about the concept, background and future plan to more than 100 participants from public sector as well as from private sector. It would take some more time to establish the new law.
Public hearing for Draft Chemical Act held on 21 Oct 2019 (Nonthaburi, Thailand)
© Green & Blue Planet Solutions Co., Ltd.