Waste management regulatory framework is somewhat complex in Thailand. Several acts implemented by different ministries tackle waste issues.
- Enhancement and Conservation of National Environmental Quality Act, B.E. 2535 (1992)
The act is a fundamental environmental law in Thailand. A part 6 of chapter 4 specifies principle in waste management.
- Public Health Act, B.E. 2535 (1992)
Municipal solid wastes and infectious/biological wastes are managed by local municipalities under the act.
- Factory Act, B.E. 2535 (1992)
The act regulates industrial waste management practice within the factory area. Industrial waste generated from production process shall be managed in accordance with the requirements of the act.
- Hazardous Substance Act, B.E. 2535 (1992)
Import, export or transportation of industrial hazardous wastes shall be in accordance with the act. Hazardous waste manifest system is implemented under the act.
- Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act, B.E.2522 (1979)
Factories located in industrial estates have an annual reporting requirement about waste management under the act.
Responsibility of industrial waste generator
Basic responsibilities of industrial waste generators prescribed in “Notification of Ministry of Industry B.E. 2548 (2005): Industrial Waste Disposal” are as follows;
- Waste generator shall have waste in possession within a factory premise no longer than the period of 90 days. In case a waste generator keeps industrial waste longer than 90 days within the premise, permission shall be obtained by Department of Industrial Works.
- It is not allowed to transport waste out of factory premise unless permission is granted from Department of Industrial Works.
- A waste generator shall submit an annual report to Department of Industrial Works
- In case of having hazardous waste in possession, a waste generator shall be in compliance with the provisions of “Notification of Ministry of Industry B.E. 2547 (2004): Hazardous waste manifest system”.
Industrial Hazardous Waste Manifest System
|2020-09-30||Thailand invents metal separation machine to tackle E-waste issue|
|2020-09-30||Thailand launched a research project for WEEE management|
|2020-09-21||Thailand banned import of E-waste|
|2020-06-29||Thailand bans use of contaminated E-waste as a raw material in the factory|