On June 22, 2021, the government of Indonesia promulgated and enacted the Regulation of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources No. 14/2021 on Application of Minimum Energy Performance Standards to Energy Consuming Equipment (hereinafter the “Regulation”). The Regulation sets out the fundamental principles for the minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) and energy efficiency labeling scheme for energy consuming equipment. The Regulation does not stipulate specific target products or standard values. Such detailed rules are scheduled to be stipulated by the relevant Directorate Generals within the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources. With the enactment of the Regulation, the following two regulations have been revoked.
- Regulation of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources No.18/2014 on Energy Efficiency Label for CFL
- Regulation of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources No.57/2017 on Minimum Energy Performance Standards and Energy Efficiency Labels for Air Conditioners
The Regulation can be downloaded at:
Target products, SKEM and energy efficiency label
This Regulation does not stipulate any target product. Target products will be set out in separate regulations in the future. The details of the SKEM*, which means “MEPS” in Indonesian, and those of the energy efficiency labels will also be stipulated separately.
* SKEM is the abbreviation of “Standar Kinerja Energi Minimum,” which corresponds to MEPS (“Minimum Energy Performance Standard”) in English.
Obligations of manufacturers and importers
Domestic manufacturers and importers of any target product (hereinafter “business operators”) must display SKEM labels or energy efficiency labels on their products. In order to display these labels, business operators are required to obtain an energy efficiency certificate. The certificate will be issued by the product certification organization (LSPro). Business operators are required to submit samples of their products to the LSPro along with the needed documents. The details of the energy efficiency testing will be stipulated by separate regulations.
If the sample products pass the energy efficiency test, LSPro will issue an energy efficiency certificate. The certificate will contain the following information:
- Energy efficiency certificate number;
- Name and location of the domestic manufacturer or importer;
- Name and location of the manufacturer (for imported energy consuming equipment);
- Brand, type, electrical capacity, power consumption and volume/diameter of the energy consuming equipment; and
- Certified energy performance or number of stars; and
- Date, name and signature of the person from the testing body (LSPro) responsible for the product certification.
In addition to ones listed above, business operators will be required to submit periodic reports. Namely, they must compile product information including the type, model, and quantity produced or imported of the regulated products and submit it to the responsible authority every three months.
Previously, there were regulations on energy efficiency labels for compact fluorescent lamps and air conditioners, which are now revoked by the newly established Regulation No. 14 of 2021 of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources with a fully revised scheme. Importantly, the products to be regulated by this Regulation will be stipulated separately in Regulations of Head of Directorate General. In the past, Ministerial Regulations were enacted for each regulated product. However, from now on, regulated products will be stipulated in Regulations of Director of Directorate General, rules at a lower level in the legal hierarchy. Such legal downgrading is expected to facilitate the enactment process of detailed rules and speed up the expansion of the scope of products covered. The detailed rules are expected to be first established for compact fluorescent lamps and air conditioners with priority, because they were regulated previously, and then be expanded to other products. Given the past discussion, the following products are likely to be included in the scope of the Regulation: