On September 20, Indonesian government established three ministerial decisions stipulating the minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) and energy efficiency labels for refrigerators, fans, and rice cookers. These decisions will come into effect 12 months after the date of establishment. Each decision stipulates the scope of regulated products, exemptions, test methods, design of the energy-efficiency label, energy efficiency rating criteria, MEPS, and others. Energy efficiency labels indicate the products’ energy performance, starting from one star corresponding to MEPS, and going up to five stars. Energy efficiency labeling on imported products must be completed in the country of origin.
- Decision of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources No.113/2021 on Minimum Energy Performance Standards and Energy Efficiency Labels for Refrigerators https://simebtke.esdm.go.id/sinergi/assets/content/20210924124138_113KEK07DJE2021_SKEM_DAN_LABEL_TANDA_HEMAT_ENERGI_UNTUK_PERALATAN_LEMARI_PENDINGIN.PDF
- Decision of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources No.114/2021 on Minimum Energy Performance Standards and Energy Efficiency Labels for Fans
- Decision of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources No.115/2021 on Minimum Energy Performance Standards and Energy Efficiency Labels for Rice Cookers
These Decisions are subordinate to the Regulation of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources No. 14/2021 on Application of Minimum Energy Performance Standards to Energy Consuming Equipment.
Mandated reporting to the regulatory body
The three decisions commonly require to compile the following information about the controlled products and submitted it to the Directorate General of New and Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation (EBTKE) every three months.
- Brand name
- Type, class, or model
- Output (capacity for refrigerators and diameter for fans are also required)
Scope of the controlled products
The scope of controlled products is summarized as follows:
|Refrigerator||Energy-utilizing devices that serve to preserve foods that use the refrigeration function (cooling process) and operate by means of a refrigeration cycle that utilizes a phase-change heat pump.||Refrigerators with a capacity up to 300 liters, a voltage of 250 V or less, and any of following HS codes (or their modifications)
|Fan||Apparatuses with an electric motor, blades, leg/foundation/base, and a regulator capable of moving air and converting it into wind that provide air conditioning, air purification, ventilation, and drying (usually with heat-generating components) functions.
However, exhaust fans, ceiling fans, and ventilation fans are excluded.
|Fans with HS code 8414.51.00 that have blades of 150 mm (approx. 6 inches) to 600 mm (approx. 24 inches) in diameter,|
|Rice cooker||Containers or appliances for cooking rice with an indicated capacity of 3 liters or less and an indicated voltage of 250 V AC or less.||Rice cookers with HS code of 8516.60.10 (or its amendment)
However, rice cookers that use the pressure working principle are excluded.
Products for the following sample purposes are exempted from the regulatory control.
- Samples for energy efficiency test: up to 2 units
- Samples for Indonesian National Standard (SNI) safety test: up to 5 units
- Samples for exhibition: up to 5 units
- Samples for research: up to 5 units
- Samples for other needs (not subject to transactions): up to 5 units
The Decisions stipulate the MEPS values as follows:
|Refrigerator||(0.85 x Vadj) + 270 kWh/year|
|Fan||Blade diameter < 12 inch: 0.6 (m3/min)/W
Blade diameter ≧ 12 inch: 1.0 (m3/min)/W
|Rice cooker||250 x V-1/3 Wh／L|
Energy Efficiency Label
The design of the energy efficiency label is as shown below (the below is one for refrigerators). The label grades the products’ energy performance, starting from one star corresponding to MEPS, and going up to five stars. In addition to the energy efficiency value, the label shall include the product model, volume/diameter/capacity, output, and registration number. Energy efficiency labeling must be completed in the country of the origin.
* For air conditioners, another decision was published on August 16, 2021.