On August 24, 2015, Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) Memorandum Circular No. 2015-011 on Guidance Manual for Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Administrative Order 2015-09 on the implementation of the Globally Harmonized System (GHS) was enacted in the Philippines. The GHS Guidance is based on the UN GHS Purple Book fourth revised edition and includes all 64 substances on the Priority Chemical List (PCL) that will be covered by the GHS from 2016.
The Guidance consists of the following five major sections.
- Guidance Manual for classification of chemicals
- Initial list of single substances and compounds covered under the Chemical Control Order (CCO) and PCL (the set of substances that will be initially covered in the implementation of the GHS in the Philippines)
- GHS pictograms
- Guidance Manual on the preparation of labels
- Guidance Manual on the preparation of Safety Data Sheet (SDS)
Importers, manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors of covered chemicals shall submit SDS to EMB. The latest version of the submitted SDS shall be used for the following purposes.
- Monitoring of the inventory of chemicals in the Philippines.
- Updating the existing Philippine Inventory of Chemical and Chemical Substances (PICCS)
- Providing information during emergency situations involving the chemicals
- Gathering of information for future establishment of a comprehensive chemical database
The original text of this Memorandum Circular can be downloaded from the following URL.