In India, as of the end of May, 2020, there are 34 Producer Responsibility Organizations (PROs) registered under the E-waste (Management) Rules, 2016 and the list of them is available on the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) website (*access URL is listed at the end of this article).
PRO is defined as a professional organisation authorised or financed collectively or individually by producers, which can take the responsibility for collection and channelisation of e-waste generated from the ‘end-of-life’ of their products to ensure environmentally sound management of such e-waste (Article 3(dd) of the Rules). It is prescribed that producers of products subject to the Rules may use PROs to achieve their collection targets of E-waste.
This article describes the “Global Waste Solution”, which was issued a PRO certificate on January 15, 2020 (http://globalwastesolution.in/ ). The following is a summary of the registration notice (Global Waste Solution is the latest registered organisation as of the end of May 2020)
- Registration No.: B-29016(59)/(PRO)/2020/WM-III Division
- PRO registration shall be valid for a period of five years from the date of issuance of this PRO registration.
- It can deal with electrical and electronic equipment classified as ITEW2/3/4/5/6/9/12/15 and CEEW1/2/3/4.
- The toll-free number, consumer care number, list of dismantlers, list of recyclers, list of its collection centers, list of collection points and details of its reverse logistics partners (transporters) must be included on their website and kept up to date.
- Maintain records on E-waste and make such records available for scrutiny by CPCB as and when required.
- Submit a report on annual returns to CPCB on or before 30th day of June following every financial year.
- In addition to E-waste (Management) Rules, 2016 and its amendments, the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 shall be complied.
- PRO registration must be renewed at least 60 days before the expiration date.
A list of registered producer responsibility organizations can be found at the URL below