On August 4, 2021, China National Development and Reform Commission and 3 other government agencies released the “Notice on encouraging home appliance manufacturers to participate the recycling target responsibility system action”. In order to promote the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) system, the Notice encourages manufacturers to participate in the recycling target responsibility system action voluntarily, and promote the recycling of waste home appliances. The notice also states the goal of fostering a series of model home appliances manufacturers in the recycling target responsibility system actions by 2023. A summary of the notice is as follows.
Manufacturers of the following 4 types of home appliances (target enterprises will participate on a voluntary basis).
- Washing machines
- Air conditioners
Items to be implemented by participating enterprises
- Participating enterprises should set quantity targets such as annual recycle targets, annual recycle rates (annual recycle amount / average sales amount for the past 3 years), and action targets related to recycling system, reverse logistics system, establishment of information system, and the action of waste home appliances recycling. What’s more, participating enterprises should also prepare an “Application report on target responsibility for waste home appliances recycling ” (The report should be prepared by referring to the guideline attached to the notice).
- Participating enterprises shall submit the above report to National Development and Reform Commission through provincial-level development and reform committees by January 31 of each year (the relevant administrative agencies will review the report and publish the list of enterprises that meet the requirements by the end of March each year).
- Participating enterprises shall submit a report for the following year, including the status of target achievement for the previous year and relevant certifications.
- Participating enterprises shall conduct self-assessments for their target achievements and publish the assessment results on their official website.
Incentives for participating enterprises
- Projects implemented by participating enterprises to promote structural transformation and innovation will receive priority support.
- Participating enterprises that achieve recycling targets and meet the relevant national management requirements will be added to the “Green Enterprise List” , and will also receive priority support in issuing green bonds and approving green loans.
The original text of the above notice can be viewed from the following URL (in simplified Chinese)