On June 21, 2021, the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Market Regulation released a local standard- “Implementation guidelines for carbon neutrality of enterprises and institutions” (DB 11/T 1861-2021) (hereafter referred as “Guidelines”). The Guidelines stipulates the basic principles and implementation procedures of carbon neutrality related measures for enterprises and institutions. And it will come into effect on October 1, 2021.
Basic requirements and principles
Enterprises and institutions that implement carbon neutrality should carry out the green gas emission reduction measures first based on their actual situation. For the unavoidable final green gas emissions, they can neutralize them through carbon offset measures to achieve carbon neutrality. Accounting green gas emissions for enterprises and institutions should follow the principles of integrity and veracity, and be open and transparent.
- Preparatory stage
- Developing the implementation plan: The plan should include carbon neutrality schedules, emission reduction measures and carbon offset measures.
- Building the internal carbon management system: Establishing an internal greenhouse gas management department, building a management system of energy uses and consumptions as well as greenhouse gas emissions. An information management system should also be built.
- Implementation stage
- Implementation of greenhouse gas emission reduction measures: The greenhouse gas emission reduction measures should include energy conservation measures, as well as increasing the substitution rate of renewable energy and carbon-containing raw materials.
- Accounting of greenhouse gas emissions: Enterprises should determine the accounting scope and methods, and formulate emission reduction reports based on relevant guidelines. The report should include information such as accounting scope, emission source types and quantities, and accounting periods.
- Carbon neutrality implementation: When the annual greenhouse gas emission that within the accounting scope of enterprises and institutions is less than or equal to the amount of carbon allowances, carbon credits or carbon sinks used for offset, then it can say that the enterprise or institution has reached annual carbon neutrality.
- Evaluation stage
Enterprises should entrust a third party to carry out the carbon neutrality evaluation.
- Declaration stage
Carbon neutrality declaration should include a statement on the completion of phase goals and statement on the achievement of carbon neutrality. And the declaration includes the basic information, accounting scope and emissions of greenhouse gas, accounting period, reduction measures, achievement status of phase goals or carbon neutrality, greenhouse gas offset measures and offset quantities, evaluation methods, evaluation conclusions and etc.
For the original text of the Guidelines, please refer to the following URL (in simplified Chinese).