On March 19, 2021, the Department of Energy of the Philippines released Advisory on the Submission of Energy Conservation Reports as per DOE MC 2020-05-0001. This Advisory explains the details of Memorandum Circular No. 5 of 2020 (MC 2020-05-0001) Directing All Designated Establishments Under Commercial, Industrial and Transport Sectors to Submit Energy Consumption Reports, clearly specifying the following matters prior to the submission deadline of April 15, 2021.
- The obligation of the designated establishments is to integrate the energy management systems (EnMS) concepts, principles, and practices into business operations. Acquisition of EnMS Certification is encouraged.
- Until the certification system for Energy Conservation Officers (ECO) and Energy Managers (EM) is launched, register persons who meet the requirements set forth under the Department Circular No. 1 of 2021 (DC 2021-01-0001) which provides Guidelines for the Qualifications, Assessment, Registration, and Certification of Energy Conservation Officers (CECO), Energy Managers (CEM), and Energy Auditors (EA).
- ECO and EM to be registered can be either an employee or a third party. ECO and EM can be assigned to work at any location or facility of the company.
- The Annual Energy Utilization Report (AEUR) and Annual Energy Efficiency and Conservation Report (AEECR) shall be prepared for the calendar year.
- A Company with multiple locations or facilities may submit a single AEUR and AEECR within the company. Note that the details of each location or facility shall be indicated individually.
- Type 1 and Type 2 designated establishments shall conduct an energy audit at least once every three years. The term of validity of the audit shall be as follows.
|Year of Audit||Valid until|
The classification of designated establishments under the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Act of the Philippines is as follows
|Classification||Annual energy consumption|
|Type 2 designated establishments||More than 4,000,000 kWh|
|Type 1 designated establishments||500,000 kWh to 4,000,000 kWh|
- Energy audits by duly authorized ESCO companies will be allowed until the certification system for Energy Auditors as stipulated in the Department Circular No.1 of 2021 (DC 2021-01-0001) is launched.
The original text of the Advisory is available at the following URL:
The original text of Memorandum Circular No. 5 of 2020 (MC 2020-05-0001) Directing All Designated Establishments Under Commercial, Industrial and Transport Sectors to Submit Energy Consumption Reports can be downloaded from the following URL:
FAQs on MC 2020-05-0001 are available at the following URL: