On July 22, 2021, India’s Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) issued a notice, clarifying the coverage of cameras, speakers and microphones used in automotive sector under Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) provided by the “Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Requirements for Compulsory Registration) Order, 2012”. Under CRS, regardless of the HS code, the products specified in this order are covered. Wireless microphones, Bluetooth and smart speakers are covered, while wired microphones and speakers as components are not. In addition, cameras in finished products used in automobiles are subject to CRS, but the provisions of this order do not apply to cameras imported as integral parts of automobiles.
- Covered products in the compulsory registration Scheme refer to the products specified in this Order regardless of the HS code.
- Wireless microphones, Bluetooth, and smart speakers are covered, but wired microphones are not.
- Speakers as components are not covered by this Order.
- Cameras as finished products used in automobiles are subject to this Order. However, if the camera is imported as an integral part of an automobile, the provisions of this Order do not apply.
- Notified products in open form or that do not have a specific model number are not covered under the Order.
The clarification can be downloaded from the following URL.