China’s State Administration for Market Regulation and Standardization Administration on August 20 issued two sets of recommended national standards (GB/T) for the recycling of automotive traction batteries. Their names are as follows.
|GB/T 34015.3-2021||Recovery of traction battery used in electric vehicle—Echelon use—Part 3：Echelon using requirement|
|GB/T 34015.4-2021||Recovery of traction battery used in electric vehicle—Echelon use—Part 4: Labels for echelon used battery products|
Both of them will come into effect on March 1, 2022. Here is an overview.
GB/T 34015.3-2021 — Echelon using requirement
- The GB/T sets out general and performance-related requirements on the downcycling (梯次利用) of automotive traction batteries, and general requirements on downcycled products.
- The GB/T applies to the downcycling of cells, modules, battery packs and systems of waste automotive traction batteries.
- The GB/T can be used for the downcycling of waste automotive nickel–metal hydride (NiMH) batteries.
The GB/T is established so that downcycling companies can determine based on the standards whether waste batteries are worth downcycling or should be recycled as materials.
GB/T 34015.4-2021 — Labels for echelon used battery products
- The GB/T sets rules for labeling products using downcycled automotive traction batteries; namely, rules for the elements of a label, labeling requirements, where and how to put the label and what to state on the label.
- The GB/T applies to labeling for products using downcycled waste automotive traction batteries.
You can see basic information on these GB/T standards (in simplified Chinese) at the following links (the details are not available in Japan and probably other countries):