On November 2, 2023, the Solid Waste and Chemicals Management Technology Center of the Ministry of Ecology and Environment of China published the “Reference list of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), its salts and PFOA-related compounds” on its website. The list lists 363 substances, including perfluorooctanoic acid, as well as the CAS number and customs code of each substance. The above 363 substances are considered as PFOA and its salts and related compounds and are regulated according to relevant regulations in China.
PFOA, its salts and related compounds are listed on the “List of key controlled new pollutants (2023)” and the “List of toxic chemicals strictly restricted in China (2023)”.
The “List of key controlled new pollutants (2023)” regulates PFOA and its salts and related compounds as follows.
- Prohibition of new installation of PFOA production equipment
- Prohibition of manufacturing, processing and use (excluding the uses listed below).
- photolithography or etch processes in semiconductor manufacturing;
- photographic coatings applied to films;
- textiles for oil- and water-repellency for the protection of workers from dangerous liquids that comprise risks to their health and safety;
- invasive and implantable medical devices;
- the use of perfluooroctyl bromide containing perfluoroctyl iodide for the purpose of producing pharmaceutical products;
- manufacture of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) for the production of high-performance, corrosion-resistant gas filter membranes, water filter membranes and membranes for medical textiles; industrial waste heat exchanger equipment; industrial sealants capable of preventing leakage of volatile organic compounds and PM2.5 particulates.
- manufacture of polyfluoroethylene propylene (FEP) for the manufacture of high-voltage electric wires and cables for power transmission
- When importing or exporting PFOA listed in the “List of toxic chemicals strictly restricted in China”, a Clearance Notification for Environmental Management on the Import (Export) of Toxic Chemicals must be obtained.
- PFOAs whose use is prohibited, whose disposal has been declared by the owner, or whose relevant departments have determined that it is necessary to confiscate or receive and dispose of them in accordance with the law, shall be included in the “National Hazardous Waste List” or if it is determined to be hazardous waste according to the hazardous waste identification standards, it shall be subject to environmental management as hazardous waste.
- In accordance with the “Soil Pollution Prevention and Control Law”, key soil pollution supervision operators dealing with PFOA shall establish a soil pollution risk investigation system to ensure continuous and effective prevention of leakage, loss, and dispersion of toxic and hazardous substances. They should also implement a self-monitoring plan and report monitoring data to the Department of Ecology and Environment.
- Companies using PFOA in the above applications should conduct mandatory clean production audits in accordance with the law.
For the original text of the above-mentioned “Reference list of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), its salts and PFOA-related compounds”, please refer to the following URL (in Simplified Chinese).