The Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Lao PDR published the “Decision on the labeling of chemicals No. 0863/ MOIC.DOIC” in the Gazette on 17 September 2021. The Decision issued under the Law on the Chemicals (2016) sets out a standard for the classification of chemicals as well as several requirements about labeling though there is no detail regarding the safety data sheet (SDS). The decision became effective 15 days after the announcement in the Gazette.
The decision prescribes general requirements including:
- a chemical label shall be authorized by the Ministry of Industry and Commerce;
- contents in the label shall be written in Lao;
- a chemical label shall be clearly visible and its material shall be durable and water-resistant;
- the size of the label shall be 20 – 80 % of the surface area of the container; and
- appropriate information shall be labeled at the back and on both sides of the transportation vehicles.
Information required in the chemical label:
The chemical label shall contain the following information:
- Chemical production identification;
- Signal words;
- Hazard statements;
- Hazard rating;
- Precautionary statements and;
- Manufacturer or Supplier identification.
Hazard rating is information based on the standard system developed by the U.S.-based National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) for indicating the health, flammability, reactivity and special hazards through the use of the NFPA 704 Diamond.
Download original text of the Decision at