The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Lao PDR established “Decision on the Pollution Control No. 1687/MONRE” on 7 April 2021 and announced in the official gazette on 12 July 2021. The Decision prescribes the measures on control, monitoring, and inspection of pollutions; the measures to control pollution in case of emergency; the designation of hazardous areas; and identification of pollution risks in order to minimize the impacts to the air, soil, water, and public nuisance and not to exceed the National Environmental Standard threshold. The Decision applies to the individual, enterprise, or organization of both domestic and overseas that perform activities in Laos.
Structure of contents:
The decision consists of the following chapters;
|Chapter 1:||General Provisions|
|Chapter 2:||The survey, Registration of the Pollution Sources, and Establishment of Plans for Pollution Control and Importation of Wastes and Hazardous Substances|
|Chapter 3:||Management and Measures on Air Pollution Control|
|Chapter 4:||Management and Measures on Soil Pollution Control|
|Chapter 5:||Management and Measures on Water Pollution Control|
|Chapter 6:||Management and Measures on Nuisance Pollution Control|
|Chapter 7:||Preventive Measures and Pollution Control in case of Emergency and Identification of Hazardous Zones and Pollution Risks|
|Chapter 8:||Adoption of International Standards and Technical Inspection|
|Chapter 9:||Final Provisions|
Survey and Registration of the Pollution Sources:
The Office of the Natural Resources and Environment of the District, Municipality, and City is responsible for conducting a survey and registration of pollution sources of the family business, including small scale agriculture, micro forestry, and handicraft business while the Department of Natural Resources and Environment of the Province and Capital work for agriculture, micro and mega forestry, industry, mining activities, and infrastructure projects. Collected information related to hazardous chemicals and wastes will be compiled by the Department of Pollution Control, Monitoring, and Inspection and reported to the Minister of Natural Resources and Environment. The information is utilized to develop pollution control plans.
Air and Water Pollution Control:
The individual, enterprise, and organization that operates any business shall comply with the primary measures regarding air or water pollution control to meet the National Environmental Standard. Business operators shall;
- prepare air or wastewater treatment system to meet the National Environmental Standard
- monitor the air emission or wastewater effluent on a regular basis
- plant trees for the area that covers 10% of the total area or more in accordance with the environmental management and monitoring plans to prevent dust pollution
In case of air or water pollution caused by the business operator, the project investor or the operator shall be responsible for all the associated expenses and shall promptly report to the related local administrative bodies.
Soil Pollution Control:
- Application of substances, especially pesticides and fertilizers in agriculture and forestry shall comply with the related laws and regulations as well as the handbook for Agriculture and Forestry Sector
- Application of substances, especially cyanide and mercury in mining shall comply with the related laws and regulations as well as the handbook for Energy and Mining Sector
- The disposal, dumping, landfill, or destruction of contaminated and hazardous substances shall comply with the specific regulation and technical specifications
The Department of Pollution Control, Monitoring, and Inspection is responsible to publish Technical Recommendation Handbook for the implementation of this Decision.
Download original text of the Decision at