On July 5, 2021, the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) of India issued a draft regulation, “Bureau of Energy Efficiency (Particulars and Manner of their Display on Labels of Electric Ceiling Type Fans) Regulations, 2021”, and is open for comments for 30 days. The proposed regulations are based on the Standards & Labeling Programme, an energy efficiency labeling scheme. Currently, ceiling fans are positioned as products for which labeling is optional, but if the regulations are promulgated, it will become mandatory.
The contents to be included in the label are as follows (see Art.3)
- the logo of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency;
- name of manufacturer or importer and brand;
- trade name and number;
- model and year of manufacturing or import;
- unique series code;
- power input in watts ;
- air delivery in cu m/min;
- service value in cu m/min/Watts;
- star level of Electric Ceiling Type Fan ; and
- label period;
The design, color, size, etc. of the label are set forth in the Schedule to the proposed regulations. In addition, labeling must be completed within six months of the entry into force of this Regulation (see Art. 4). Other provisions include labeling methods (Art. 5), obtaining permits (Art. 6), and labeling costs (Art. 9).
Persons who have obtained a labeling permit, traders, and sellers (including manufacturers (as defined in Art. 2(j))) shall comply with the following in labeling (Art. 8).
- Compliance with energy consumption standards to be determined separately.
- Labeling shall only be applied to the models for which a permit has been granted.
- The star level indication shall be maintained at all times.
- Submit details of production of labeled products and outstanding label fees to BEE on a quarterly basis.
- Submit an updated list of distributors, dealers, retailers and sellers who intend to sell their labeled products to BEE by April 30 of each year.
Sample label for Electric Ceiling Type Fans
Any objections or suggestions regarding this draft regulation should be sent to:
Director-General of Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Ministry of Power,
4th Floor, Sewa Bhawan, R.K.Puram, Sector-1,
The draft regulation can be downloaded from the following URL.