On March 23, 2022, the National Development and Reform Commission and the National Energy Administration of China jointly announced the “Medium and long-term plan for the development of hydrogen energy industry (2021-2035)” (hereafter referred as “Plan”). The Plan stresses that the hydrogen energy will be an important component of the national energy system in the future, and the transformation into the environmentally friendly and low-carbon energy consumption of hydrogen energy in transportation and industry sectors will be promoted by fully utilizing the clean and low carbon characteristics of hydrogen energy. Moreover, the Plan also works out measures to promote the development of hydrogen energy industry, such as implementing international cooperation actively in the technological innovation of hydrogen energy, promoting the construction of hydrogen energy infrastructures, and promoting the diversified utilization of hydrogen energy by exploring the alternative uses in the industrial sectors.
Goals by 2025
- A relatively complete development system and policy environment of hydrogen energy industry will be formed, the innovation ability of the industry will be significantly improved, the core technologies and manufacturing processes will be basically developed, and finally a relatively complete supply chain and industrial system will be established.
- The ownership of fuel cell vehicles will reach about 50,000.
- A certain number of hydrogen filling stations will be constructed.
- The annual production of hydrogen derived from renewable energy will reach 0.1~0.2 million tons.
- The annual reduction of cardon dioxide emission will reach 1~2 million tons.
Goals by 2030
A relatively complete technological innovation system of hydrogen energy industry, as well as the production and supply system of hydrogen generated from clean energy will be constructed, and a rational and orderly industrial layout will be realized. The hydrogen derived from renewable energy will be widely used to support the realization of the goal of carbon peak.
Goals by 2035
A hydrogen energy industrial system will be established, and an ecological system of diversified hydrogen energy applications will be formed, which will cover transportation, energy storage, industry and etc. The utilization proportion of hydrogen generated from renewable energy by end-users will be increased significantly, as a result, the energy green transformation will be promoted.
The Plan also indicates that it will lead to a high-quality development in the hydrogen energy industry by improving the core technology levels and implementing international cooperation actively in the hydrogen energy technological innovation. In addition, measures such as promoting the construction of related infrastructures, and promoting the diversified utilization of hydrogen energy including alternative uses in industrial sectors have also been put forth.
For the original text of the Plan, please refer to the following URL (in Simplified Chinese).