On February 4, 2021, Shanghai Municipal Government Office announced the “Implementation Plan for Accelerating the Development of New Energy Vehicle Industry in Shanghai (2021-2025) “. The plan clearly outlines the overall goals for the development of Shanghai’s new energy vehicle industry during the 14th 5-Year Plan in 5 areas, including the rapid development of core technologies for the new energy vehicle industry, the establishment of a well-developed industrial ecosystem, the promotion of the pilot operation of new technologies, the integrated development of urban infrastructure, and the soundness of the institutional system. In addition, some key tasks are also presented.
The set of goals presented in the plan includes numerical targets for the production volume and percentage of new energy vehicles. The specific targets mentioned above are as follows
- By 2025, the scale of Shanghai’s new energy vehicle industry will reach the leading level in the country, with an annual output of more than 1.2 million new energy vehicles in Shanghai, an output value of over 350 billion yuan, and more than 35% share of the city’s total automobile manufacturing output value.
- Achieve significant progress in core technologies.
- In order to hasten the realization of a green transportation energy system, the share of purely electric vehicles in new vehicles purchased by individuals and the share of new energy vehicles in cabs booked online will be increased to over 50%.
- Significantly raise the level of practical application in internetization and intelligent technology.
- Steadily increase the rate of introduction of new energy vehicles in large freight vehicles and construction vehicles.
- Achieve 10,000 units of fuel cell vehicles.
- Implement sustainable optimization of infrastructure development.
- Continue to develop the policy system.
The plan also sets goals to reach the world’s leading level in R&D and manufacturing of core components such as drive batteries, management systems, fuel cells, drive motors and power electronics. The goals also include making significant progress in core technologies for internetization and intelligence, such as automotive standard chips, vehicle operation systems, and new electronic and electrical architectures, and forming a well-developed supply chain.
The original Chinese version of the above article can be viewed at the following Shanghai Municipal People’s Government website.