China’s Ministry of Ecology and Environment on January 25, 2021 published the National List of Advanced Pollution Control Technologies 2020 (solid waste treatment and soil pollution control technologies) in a bid to ensure the enforcement of the Environmental Protection Law, Solid Waste Environmental Pollution Control Law and Soil Pollution Control Law of China. The list contains 37 technologies for solid waste treatment and soil pollution control. Some of these technologies’ names and applications are shown below:
Solid waste treatment technologies
- Organic solid waste fully sealed drum aerobic fermentation technology—disposal of organic solid waste, including household waste generated in an amount of less than 100 tons per day, waste materials in urban sewage treatment plants, livestock dung and rice straw.
- Organic solid waste machine-assisted aerobic sorting fermentation technology—treatment of organic solid waste, including food, vegetables, fruits and other waste generated in kitchens, gardens, woods, etc.
- Livestock dung three-dimensional multi-layer static aerobic fermentation technology—animal dung treatment in livestock farms
- Urban sewage treatment plant sludge high-pressure advanced dehydration technology—sludge treatment in urban sewage treatment plants
- Sludge dehydration, granulation and co-incineration with household waste technology—sludge treatment in urban sewage treatment plants
- Urban sewage treatment plant sludge indirect dehydration and bubbling fluidized bed (BFB) combustion technology—sludge dehydration and combustion in urban sewage treatment plants
- Thermal hydrolysis-based sludge anaerobic digestion and biogas residue utilization technology—sludge treatment and utilization in urban sewage treatment plants
- Manufacturing of high-performance water storage materials based on river and lake sludge and agricultural solid waste technology—utilization of river and lake sludge and agricultural solid waste
- Household waste landfill pollution control and groundwater remediation technology—household landfill pollution warning and general pollution control measures
- Hydrothermal synthesis-based by-product gypsum utilization technology—utilization of by-product gypsum from phosphate fertilizer production, sodium chloride electrolysis, sodium carbonate production, etc.
Soil pollution control technologies
- Contaminated soil and groundwater electric heating remediation technology—remediation of soil and groundwater contaminated with volatile or semi-volatile organic matter
- Organically contaminated soil off-site direct thermal desorption technology—remediation of soil contaminated with organic matter, such as BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene), alkyl halides and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
- Organically contaminated soil off-site thermal spiral indirect thermal desorption remediation technology—remediation of soil contaminated with volatile or semi-volatile organic matter, mercury, etc.
- Organically contaminated soil and groundwater chemical oxidation remediation technology—remediation of soil and groundwater contaminated with BTEX, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, petroleum hydrocarbons, etc.
- Organically contaminated soil and groundwater extraction and oxidation remediation technology—remediation of soil and groundwater contaminated by volatile or semi-volatile organic matter with medium or high diffusivity