On June 8, 2021, the Ministry of Science and Technology of Vietnam issued the Decision No.1500/QD-BKHCN on the promulgation of National Standard TCVN 13334:2021. This standard, which the Department of Climate Change of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) led the development of, provides safety requirements for production of polyurethane insulation foams using flammable blowing agents recommended instead of ozone depleting substances such as HCFC-141b.
The standard can be downloaded from the following URL.
Scope of application
This standard applies to companies that produce polyurethane (PU) insulation form using flammable blowing agents such as cyclopentane (C5H10) and methyl formate (HCOOCH3).
Policy of application
Companies are recommended to apply this standard when changing from existing materials to flammable blowing agents in the production of polyurethane insulation in order to ensure production safety and environmental protection. In addition, the state management agency controls safety in the production of foam insulations and the use of flammable blowing agents in accordance with this standard.
Facilities that produce polyurethane insulation forms using flammable blowing agents are required to comply with the following requirements.
- Identify chemical properties and dangers of flammable blowing agents and provide them on request.
- Implement the chemical accident prevention and response plan and assess the risk from flammable blowing agents within a workplace and to personnel. In addition, they are required to evaluate accident prevention measures periodically, provide risk information to workers, and conduct chemical safety trainings appropriately.
- Facilities and warehouses which handle or store flammable blowing agents must be equipped with fire protection equipment in accordance with the National Standard TCVN 3890:2009. They must also prepare personal protective equipment.
- In the event of a chemical accident, only the person in charge who has attended a training course to understand the characteristics of flammable chemicals can respond to the accident.
Other than the general requirements, the following requirements are also specified in detail.
- Requirements for safety measures in production
- Requirements for storage and transport in production
- Requirements for environmental protection and occupational health and safety