On Aug. 1, 2022, China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, National Development and Reform Commission and Ministry of Ecology and Environment announced a program to ensure carbon emissions peaking in the manufacturing sector. The program lays out targets and policies for each industry to achieve this goal. For example, the measures set out in this program include promoting extended producer responsibility schemes for electrical and electronic equipment, automobiles and other products as well as establishing a system to recycle traction batteries of new-energy vehicles.
During the 14th Five-Year Plan period (2021–2025),
- make active progress in optimizing the industrial structure and energy consumption structure,
- significantly increase the efficiency of energy and resource use,
- build green factories and green industrial parks, and
- develop, demonstrate and popularize low-carbon, zero-carbon and negative-carbon technologies that noticeably reduce carbon emissions.
- ensure that manufacturing industries larger than a prescribed size reduce energy consumption per unit industry value added (IVA) by 13.5% from the 2020 level,
- ensure that these industries reduce carbon dioxide emissions per unit IVA by a larger proportion than overall society, and
- significantly reduce the intensity of carbon dioxide emissions in key industries.