On August 13, 2020, the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) of Vietnam published the “Directive No. 12/CT-BCT on strengthening the management of hazardous chemicals, explosive precursors and industrial explosive substances”. In recent years, there have been a number of explosion and fire accidents caused by chemical substances in various parts of Vietnam. In addition, due to the stagnation of production and distribution resulting from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, a large amount of chemical substances is now being stored in warehouses in many cities. For these reasons, the directive document has been established to ensure safety in the storage of hazardous chemical substances, explosive precursors and industrial explosives.
In accordance with this directive, businesses that handle the regulated chemical substances are required to complete the following tasks:
- Facilities that manufacture or trade hazardous chemicals, explosive precursors and industrial explosive substances compile detailed information on storage warehouses and storage locations, and report to the Vietnam Chemicals Agency (Vinachemia) and the Directorate of Safety Technology and Industrial Environment of MOIT;
- Facilities that manufacture, trade and store hazardous chemicals, explosive precursors and industrial explosives properly plan chemical accident prevention and response, and take appropriate measures. And, they should ensure the best possible prevention and response in the event of an accident;
- Businesses make a plan for the refurbishment of warehouses for industrial explosive substances and explosive precursors in accordance with the “National Technical Standard QCVN 01:2019/BCT on Safety in the Production, Testing, Inspection, Storage, Transport, Use and Disposal of Industrial Explosive Substances and the Storage of Explosive Precursors”;
- Workers exposed to hazardous chemicals, explosive precursors and industrial explosive substances comply with the provisions on technical training; and
- Businesses prepare an environmental accident prevention and response plan and prepare the equipment and means necessary for it.
The original of these instructions can be downloaded from the following URL