The Prime Minister’s Decision No. 889/QD-TTg on approval of the National Action Plan on Sustainable Production and Consumption for the period 2021-2030 was enacted in Vietnam on June 24, 2020.
The original text of this decision can be downloaded from the following
Objectives of the plan
The decision aims to promote the effective management, development and use of natural resources, fuels and materials, and to develop environment-friendly materials and products that can be recycled and reused. In addition, another aim of this decision is to improve sustainable lifestyles and the quality of life of the citizens in order to achieve a circular economy.
The specific goals are as follows:
- To develop a sustainable production and consumption law between 2021 and 2025, with effective implementation by 2030. The details are as follows:
– Establishment of technical standards for eco-design
– Establishment of technical standards for eco labelling
– Establishment of technical standards for sustainable tourism
– Establishment of technical standards for environment-friendly raw materials, products and re-products
– Development of technical guidelines for sustainable production and consumption
– Promotion of the manufacture and sale of packaging materials that are a substitute for disposable or persistent plastics, etc.
- To improve education and awareness of sustainable production and consumption in 70% of industrial parks, industrial zones and traditional craft villages between 2021 and 2025, reaching 100% by 2030
- To improve education and awareness of sustainable lifestyles and consumption behaviors in 80% of provinces and Municipalities of Vietnam between 2021 and 2025, reaching 100% by 2030
- To develop a national action plan on sustainable production and consumption, which will be reflected in local laws and policies in 90% of provinces and Municipalities of Vietnam between 2021 and 2025
- To ensure 100% of supermarkets and shopping malls will use packaging materials that are disposable or alternative to persistent plastics by 2030
Specific items to be implemented to achieve the above goals are as follows:
- To complete legislation and policies for promotion of sustainable production and consumption.
- To promote sustainable management, development and use of natural resources, as well as the development of recyclable raw materials.
- To promote cleaner production, green products and the application of product lifecycle assessment models.
- To promote ecolabel certification, sustainable markets and consumer information.
- To promote circular economy.
- To establish a database system on sustainable production and consumption
- To develop science and technology on sustainable production and consumption.
- To strengthen international alliances on green finance for sustainable production and consumption.