Vietnam enacted “Decision No. 1375/QD-TTg on approval of environmental protection plans in the fields of industry and trade in the period of 2020-2025” on September 8, 2020. This decision sets goals such as:
- Establishment of a legal structure for environmental protection in the fields of industry and trade;
- Completion of a database management system in the fields of industry and trade;
- Strengthening of inspections and audits;
- Improvement of awareness and responsibility.
This decision is under the supervision of the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT), and will be implemented in cooperation with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, the Ministry of Construction, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Planning and Investment and the People’s Committee of provinces and municipalities.
The original text of this decision can be downloaded from the following URL.
- Overall goals
- Develop the legal system in the fields of industry and trade to ensure consistency and eliminate duplicates. In particular, make adjustments with an emphasis on types of industries that are at risk of causing environmental pollution.
- Realize control of environmental pollution sources, prevention of environmental accidents, effective use of natural resources, recycling of scrap, by-products, and waste.
- Specific goals by 2025
- Complete and promulgate technical guidance on solid wastes, wastewater, and exhaust gas for the purpose of recycling and reuse of wastes, effective use of natural resources, and countermeasures for types of industries that are at risk of causing environmental pollution.
- Evaluate and aggregate 70% to 90% of emissions sources in priority areas of industry, and complete databases and management regulations.
- Recycle 80% of ash, slags and gypsum generated from power plants, chemical plants and fertilizer plants into materials including raw materials for production and construction.
- Provide training on environmental protection for all companies in the fields of industry and trade.
- Use environmentally friendly plastic bags in shopping malls and supermarkets and promote the replacement of undegradable plastic bags.
- Propose energy projects such as biomass, wind power, and solar power generation, as well as environmental protection policies.
Main missions and countermeasures:
- Review and accomplishment of laws and regulations related to environmental protection in the fields of industry and trade
- Prevention, control, disposal and elimination of environmental pollution sources
- Human resources education, promotion of legal regulation, raising awareness and responsibility regarding environmental protection
- Development of green industry models in various industries