On January 30, 2020, Indonesia enacted the “Regulation of the Minister of Environment and Forestry No. 4 of 2020 on the transportation of hazardous waste”. This regulation governs the transportation of hazardous waste (B3 waste) and stipulates the introduction of electronic manifest. On the same day as the enactment, the regulation entered into force, and accordingly the previous Decision of the Director of the Environmental Impact Management Agency No. 2 of 1995 on hazardous waste document (Kep-02/BAPEDAL/09/1995) was repealed.
The original text of this regulation is available for download at the following URL.
The B3 waste transporter fills out the information for the movement of B3 waste, using the electronic manifest. If more than one different mode of transportation is used, the carrier in charge of the first transport should fill out the form. The generator of B3 waste can check the data the transporter filled in.
To use the e-manifest, the transporter must register on a designated website (http://festronik.menlhk.go.id). The B3 waste generators must submit a registration application form (Annex IV) with a business establishment certificate to the authority for review. If your application is approved, a username and password will be provided.
In addition, the “B3 Waste Transportation Electronic Manifest” to be introduced in this regulation is called by the abbreviation “Festronik” in Indonesia language.
Regulatory requirements for B3 waste transporters:
B3 waste transporters shall apply to the Minister of Environment and Forestry for “B3 Waste Transportation Recommendation” and have it reviewed for approval by the authority. The application shall be accompanied by documents related to the movement of B3 waste, which shall include the following information.
- Type of transport modes and quality of B3 waste,
- Sources, names, and characteristics of B3 waste to be transported,
- B3 waste handling and emergency procedures,
- Equipment for B3 waste handling,
- B3 waste loading/unloading procedures,
- Preparation of documents that show the transport modes on the movement of the B3 waste with the designated marking in accordance with the regulatory provisions, and
- A certificate to prove that GPS tracking is connected with “Silacak” (B3 waste transportation tracking system) in case of using public road transportation on the movement of B3 waste
One of the significant changes from the previous Environmental Impact Management Agency Decision 1995-2 was electronic manifests to be introduced. Previously, waste generators filled out the manifests and managed them in a set of seven sheets. However, from now on, the electronic manifests will be managed online. The new system also differs from the previous one in terms of increasing of transporters’ responsibilities.