China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology announced the “Plan for Coordinated Transformation and Upgrading of the Industry of Comprehensive Utilization of Industrial Resources in the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei and Surrounding Regions (2020-2022)” on July 15, 2020. Here is an outline of the plan.
Achieve the following targets in the regions by 2022.
- Carry out comprehensive utilization of 800 million tons of industrial solid waste, recycle 150 million tons of major recyclable resources, raise the total output of the industry above 900 billion yuan, create 30 industrial clusters that have outstanding features, construct 50 industrial innovation centers, and develop 100 innovative key companies.
Key measures (part of them)
Recycle a higher percentage of waste metals.
Promote high-efficiency use of polymeric materials.
- Launch a series of projects, including waste tire recycling and recycled plastic granulation projects.
Accelerate the recycling of discarded traction batteries.
- Take advantage of the regions’ strengths to build a recycling system there.
- Promote representative model projects for downcycling in areas such as energy storage and backup power supplies for communication stations, in Shanxi, Shandong, Hebei, Henan, and Inner Mongolia.
- Support the launch of new projects for utilizing traction batteries as a resource and increase recycling capacity of the regions overall.
Safeguards (part of them)
Implement incentives such as on value-added tax, income tax and environmental protection tax for comprehensive utilization of resources, and add comprehensive utilization products to the government’s green procurement list.
Strengthen financial support from local governments and provide priority support to comprehensive utilization in the regions.
The original text of the above plan can be found at this link (in Simplified Chinese):