On June 22, 2020, The Ministry of Ecology and Environment(MEE) of China announced the “Circular on strengthening operations for monitoring volatile organic compounds (VOC)”. It stipulates the details of VOC monitoring operations in 337 cities nationwide and the strengthening of random inspections on VOC emission by pollutant emitters.
The contents are as follows.
VOC monitoring operations conducted in various regions
- 149 cities (Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, etc. For more information, please refer to the link below) should conduct automatic monitoring of non-methane hydrocarbons (PAMS) substances by December 31, 2020.
- Cities satisfying conditions should conduct non-methane hydrocarbons (NMHC) automatic monitoring testing.
- At least one monitoring point should be set up at areas with high ozone concentrations in zones of high population density of each
Strengthening VOC monitoring of emissions from fixed pollution sources
Each class of departments of ecology and environment should carry out the following operations in accordance with the principle, “monitoring and countermeasures taken by polluters”.
- Regular random inspections should be conducted for VOC self-monitoring by pollutants emission enterprises.
- Random inspections based on the VOC emission standards should be conducted, and pollutants emissions enterprises should fulfill their responsibilities in accordance with the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act.
- In accordance with the principle of randomly selecting the date and target of the inspections, random inspections should be conducted, and the results should be reported to the Central Bureau of Environmental Monitoring of China by 20th in the first month of each quarter.
The original text of the circular can be viewed from the following URL (Simplified Chinese).