In March 2020, Shanghai municipal bureau of ecology and environment announced the plan for further strengthening hazardous waste pollution control to improve the capacities of environmental supervision, recycling and environmental risk prevention in its hazardous waste treatment.
According to the overall targets, by the end of 2020, an annual incineration of 350,000 tons of hazardous waste and an annual incineration of 100,000 tons of medical waste will be achieved. By the end of 2025, the capacities of utilization and disposal of hazardous waste will be increased, and the system for supervision and management of all hazardous waste treatment processes and the framework for preventing risks on hazardous waste will be further improved.
In order to achieve the targets, the following measures had been put forward in the plan.
Strengthening management of hazardous waste sources
- Strengthening the examination of environmental impact assessment and the supervision during and after construction projects that generate hazardous waste;
- Strengthening the management of hazardous waste storage facilities;
- Building a basic database of hazardous waste management, integrating related information;
- Strengthening the management of the voluntary use and disposal facilities for hazardous waste, and establishing information disclosure system.
Improving capabilities to supervise and manage hazardous waste
- Updating the list of companies that focus on supervision and management of hazardous waste;
- Strengthening regular supervision and management of hazardous waste;
- Improving the level of information management;
- Strengthening supervision and management for products of business operators doing comprehensive utilization of hazardous waste;
- Strengthening the development of supervising agencies and human resources.
Improvement and optimization of utilization and disposal capacities of hazardous waste
- Strengthening integrated planning based on the capacities to generate, use, and dispose hazardous waste and the facility’s operating conditions;
- Improving the capacity of disposal of hazardous waste and the priority hazardous waste.
- Strengthening joint disposal of hazardous waste in the Yangtze River Delta region;
- Accelerating the construction of medical waste disposal facilities;
- Developing a hazardous waste recycle system, and optimizing the use and disposal through market-oriented policies.
Strengthening the capacity of preventing hazardous waste environmental risks
- Strengthening environmental risk management in industrial parks;
- Strengthening cooperation among regions and departments;
- Tightening the enforcement on illegal activities for environment related to solid waste;
- Raising the emergency response capacity for hazardous waste environmental issues.
- Strengthening implementation, support by policies, and citizen participation.
The original text of the Plan can be downloaded from the following URL (Chinese: Simplified).