On November 27, 2020, The People’s Government of Guangdong Province released the revised “Regulations of Guangdong Province on Urban and Rural Municipal Solid Waste Management”. The regulation came into force on January 1,2021. The main amendments are as follows.
Measures on sources reduction of waste
- In Article 2 “Sources reduction”, waste reduction measures are stipulated as follows.
- Restrictions on over-packing.
- Packaging reduction on take-out and express industries.
- Prohibit and restrict the use, sales and productions of non-degradable disposable plastic bags.
Classification of municipal solid waste
- Based on the national standards “Signs for classification of municipal solid waste” (GB/T 19095-2019), the municipal solid waste is classified into the following 4 types.
- Recyclable waste
- Food waste
- Hazardous waste
- Residual waste
Clarify the responsibility of waste classification
- The regulation clarified that the businesses and individuals who generate municipal waste should take the responsibilities to reduce the amount of waste and dump it by classification.
Strengthen the penalties
- If the business didn’t separate and dump municipal waste in accordance with the provisions of the regulation, and the violation is serious, it will be fined from 50,000 yuan (about 800,000 yen) to 500,000 yuan (about 8 million yen), the penalty amount has increased.
The original text of the regulation can be viewed from the following URL. (Simplified Chinese)