On March 18th 2022, Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) issued a technical regulation that defines the requirements to be met by suppliers and conformity assessment procedures for Hydrogen Vehicles.
This regulation applies to vehicles that use hydrogen as its source of fuel and it includes the following categories:
- Hydrogen Vehicles of classes M and N which have at least four wheels and are designed for transporting passengers and goods, respectively.
- Hydrogen components for both M and N classes.
- Hydrogen systems for Vehicles with engines of classes M and N.
Importers must ensure that the Hydrogen Vehicles meet the following requirements:
- Adhere to the Saudi Arabian traffic law and its executive regulation.
- Issuance of Conformity Certificate according to this technical regulation and the standards included.
- Prove that the Hydrogen Vehicle, its components, and the Hydrogen systems have all obtained type approval according to this technical regulation.
- Hydrogen Vehicles must also conform with the requirements of the Electric Vehicles’ technical regulation.
As for the technical requirements, supplies must prove the following:
- Hydrogen components and Hydrogen systems must operate properly, safely and reliably under electrical, mechanical, temperature and chemical operational conditions without any leak or visible deformation.
- Hydrogen Systems must be protected against excessive pressure.
- The materials used in Hydrogen components and Hydrogen systems that are in contact with Hydrogen must be compatible with Hydrogen.
- Hydrogen components and Hydrogen systems must bear atmospheric temperatures and pressures during its expected lifetime.
- Hydrogen components and Hydrogen systems must bear operation temperature ranges specified in the execution procedures.
- Hydrogen components must be distinguished with markings according to the execution procedures.
- Hydrogen components flow direction must be defined clearly.
- Hydrogen components and Hydrogen systems must be assembled according to the requirements of this regulation.
This regulation also specifies the requirements for tanks and components designed for liquid Hydrogen as well as compressed gaseous hydrogen, such as testing of the Hydrogen tanks and components in accordance to the procedures indicated in the annexes of this regulation, providing detailed description of the characteristics and variations of the main material used in the tank design, etc.
There also requirements concerning the fueling receptacle and Hydrogen discharge system, such as ensuring the receptacle’s full-fill pressure compatibility with the fuel storage system, the existence of a label near the receptacle to inform the vehicle owner/driver of the fuel type and the appropriate pressure value, protection against excessive pressure and flammability, existence of a visual warning system, etc.
As for conformity assessment procedures, suppliers must obtain Type Approval certificate and attach the following documents with the vehicle:
- Suppliers Declaration of Conformity
- Risk assessment document
- Certificate of Origin
- Test reports
- List of applied standards
- Explanatory Manual concerning the use of Hydrogen in Vehicles.
Vehicles which acquired the Saudi Quality Mark are considered in conformity with this regulation.
Suppliers must comply with the requirements of this regulation within 180 days from the date of publication of the regulation.