On August 20,2021, the Environmental Protection Administration of Taiwan officially announced addition of ammonium nitrate and hydrogen fluoride into “chemicals of concern” list. The above 2 types of substances are subject to the regulations of “Law of toxicity and concerned chemical substances control”, therefore when handling these substances, it is necessary to comply with related requirements specified in the law such as applying for approval documents. The outline of the announcement is as follows.
“Chemical of concern” added to the regulated target
|No||Name||CAS No||Regulated concentration||Regulated action||Is hazardous substances or not||Handling volume by grade||Periodical declaration frequency|
|002||Ammonium nitrate||6484-52-2||80 w/w%||Production, import, sale, transportation, usage, storage||Yes||50000kg||Monthly|
|003||Hydrogen Fluoride||7664-39-3||0.1 w/w%||Production, import, sale, transportation, usage, storage, discard||Yes||300kg||Monthly|
* Substances that exceed the regulated concentration specified in the above table will be treated as “chemical of concern”.
* If the“chemical of concern”is a hazardous substance, and the total handling volume exceeds the regulated volume specified in the above table, it is obliged to comply with regulations related to accident prevention and emergency response.
* The regulated concentration of hydrogen fluoride was 10 w/w% in the draft of comments, while in the final documents, it is set as 0.1 w/w%.
Regulations related to hydrogen fluoride
- If the concentration of hydrogen fluoride is higher than regulated concentration 0.1% and lower than 10%, it only need to label the related information on the containers and packaging in accordance with the provisions specified in the “Regulations on toxicity and concerned chemical labeling and safety data sheet”.
- If the concentration is higher than 10%, it will have to apply for the approval documents according to the provisions specified in the “Law of toxicity and concerned chemical substances control”.
Provisions for the label size of hydrogen fluoride containers and packaging
Provisions for the label size of hydrogen fluoride containers and packaging are added in the announcement.
- If the volume is smaller than 3L, the length and width of the label shall be more than 52mm×
- If the volume is greater than 3L and smaller than 50L, the length and width of the label shall be more than 74mm×
- If the volume is greater than 50L, the length and width of the label shall be more than 105mm×
In addition, if enterprises have handled the above 2 types of substances before the announcement, they have to complete the requirements that specified in the Appendix 2 within the given time (recording of handle volume, preparation of SDS, etc.).
(For the related contents, please refer to the following “Past related topics”)
For the original text, please refer to the following URL (in traditional Chinese).