On March 3, 2022, Simon Upton, New Zealand’s Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment, released a new report on the environmental fate of chemicals.
The report summarizes the following items.
- Environmental fate of chemicals and the effects
- Current chemical control system
- The main routes by which chemicals enter the environment and how their sources and routes are managed
- Visualization of the regulatory framework
In particular, the following four chemicals were selected and a follow-up survey was conducted on their lifecycle from use to disposal.
- Neonicotinoids (used in insecticides)
- Tetracycline (used in antibiotics)
- Terbuthylazine (used in herbicides)
- Zinc (as a metal)
The relevant documents can be viewed from the following URLs.