Singapore has issued the Code of Practice for Hazardous Waste Management (SS603: 2021). This standard revises SS603: 2014 and specifies requirements for the collection, transport, storage, treatment, and disposal of hazardous waste.
The main changes from SS603: 2014 are as follows.
- The definitions of the terms “hazardous waste” and “toxic industrial waste” were clarified.
- The hierarchical structure of waste management methods and principles was made clearer.
- The audit protocols of hazardous waste discharge operators, transport operators, and collection operators are detailed.
- Requirements related to the contents of labels on waste containers are specified.
- The minimum information to be declared by the waste discharge operator to the waste collection operator are specified.
- Examples of potential situations to be addressed in waste management risk assessments are provided and safe work procedures are included as part of risk assessments.