On January 27, 2021, Sri Lank’s Ministry of Environment published the notification under Section 23W(1)(a) of the National Environmental Act (No. 47 of 1980) to prohibit the use of Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) material for packing agrochemicals used for any process, trade or industry. Also, the use of any plastic items below for any process, trade or industry shall be banned.
- Sachets having less than or equal to a net volume of 20ml/ net weight of 20g (except for packing food and medicines).
- Inflatable toys (except balloons, balls, water floating/pool toys and water sports gear).
- Cotton buds with plastic stems (except plastic cotton buds used for medical/clinical treatment).
The notification is to be implemented from March 31, 2021.
Definitions (for the purposes of this notification):
- “agrochemicals” means all chemicals used in Agriculture including Pesticide, growth regulators, liquid fertilizer;
- “plastic item” means a product manufactured using polyethylene terephthalate, high density polyethylene, low density polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, polypropylene, polystyrene, biodegradable plastic or any other similar raw material or any mixture thereof;
The notification can be downloaded from the following URL (in English).